Built in 1841 the Cortland Opera house was originally home to the first Methodist Church in Trumbull County. The building has been moved twice from its original location on the west side of Mecca St. The first move was to the site of the current Methodist Church on High St and in 1879 it was turned around and moved to it's present location facing Park Ave.
After being used for plays, school functions, and later as a Grange Hall and extra Sunday School space for the Methodist Church the building fell into disrepair. On January 21, 1987 the Opera House was purchased by the Bazetta-Cortland Historical Society. Over the years it has been lovingly renovated and restored. Over the last 20+ years central air-conditioning has been added along with a full-service kitchen and in 2012 the building received a new roof, gutters and siding.
The Opera House is available to rent for many different kinds of events, including: graduation open houses, weddings, receptions, showers, etc.
If you would like to learn more about rentals, verify an open date, or make a reservation, please call Maribeth at 330-219-1488.
Tell us how we are doing