Our historical Society was established in 1976 during the bicentennial to help save the area's history and promote the understanding of the history of our community. The society purchased the Opera House in 1987 from the Methodist Church. The Opera House was renovated as it was in the period of 1882 to 1907. During that time, it was used as an opera house and a cultural center for the community.
The Society has also restored a beautiful square grand piano owned by Bessie Marvin; a Cortland resident who was very involved in musical programs held in the Opera House during the early 1900’s. The piano, which came from Boston and had to cross the Appalachians by ox cart, is on permanent display in the Opera House and is still being used. We now rent this building out to help provide income for the society to preserve the building for the community.
We are now working to catalog our collection of documents with the help of a grant obtained by the Trumbull County Historical Society. You can visit our collection and collections from many other organizations at CatalogIt Hub.
In the future we hope to develop biographies of as many individuals in the area as we can. Also, we have published various booklets written by our members dealing with the area’s history. These are sold to raise funds for our operations.
Our meetings are open to the public and we urge all who are interested to join in the preserving of the history of Cortland and Bazetta. The Bazetta-Cortland Historical Society needs the support of its members to help plan for the future.